Rabbi Louis Rabinowitz visited the Kadavumbhagom synagogue in 1952 and has reported seeing a relatively modern tablet with the names of the contributors who rebuilt the synagogue in 1936. 'Among them are the names of Maharajah of Cochin, who donated five candles of teak, the Bishop of Quilon, the Dewan (Prime Minister) of Cochin and S. R. K. Shanmugan Chitty, an example of a remarkable tolerance which deserves, and will have, special mention' (Far East Mission, p.130)
Different dates have been attributed for the construction and restoration of the Kadavumbagam synagogue from 1130, 1150, 1400, 1530, 1539/40, 1544 or 1549. The most acceptable among scholars is 1544. The credit for establishing and restoring the Kadavumbagam synagogue (1539 to 1549) has been given to Paradesi Jewish community leaders (Mudaliyar) from the first Mudaliyar, Baruch Joseph Levi to the fifth, Jacob David Castiel. Note that even the Paradesi community agrees on the existence of a Malabari synagogue in Mattancherry before theirs was constructed in 1568.
Around 1844, the Jewish community from the Kadavumbagam (Riverside) synagogue was excluded from fellowship with the other six Malabari communities. The dispute began as the Kadavumbhagom community sought the help of Paradesis to certify one of their own members to become a shohet (ritual slaughterer). Before that, the community was depending a shohet from the adjacent Malabari Thekkumbagam congregation for the purpose. David G. Mandelbaum (1939) expands, 'Since then a man who marries a girl of the Riverside congregation must join that synagogue and is not permitted to worship with his former associates. When the people of one synagogue go to kiss the scrolls of the others on Simhat Torah, the Riverside (Kadavumbagam) group goes to the synagogue of the white Jews (Paradesi Jews)”. It may be one the reasons that encouraged A. de Costa to write about the Kaddavumbagam Jews as the black non-Meyuhassims (descendants of manumitted slaves or converts from the non-Jewish natives) and the remaining Malabari congregations as the privileged Jews or Meyuhassims (Indian Church Quarterly Review, 1893).
Rabinowitz, Louis-Far East Mission, Eagle Press Limited, South Africa, 1952, p. 130.